Friday 4 December 2009

Busy Bee Toyshop and No mega TESCO campaign


Last night I attended the members Christmas preview evening of the Busy Bee Toyshop on Wilbraham Road in Chorlton. I joined the Busy Bee co-op earlier this this year when the much loved shop was threatened with closure. After months of hard work by local people and refurbishing and updating the shop it reopened again in the Summer. I was so encouraged to see that the new shop is going from strength to strength. I really enjoyed talking to other members, the committee members and the shop's manager Claire. The homemade mince pies were delicious and the window display and Santa's postbox was excellent. I loved the advent calender made by local schoolchildren - it looked brilliant and was a great festive addition to the shop. I would highly recommend a visit to the shop over Christmas as it is bursting with great gifts and cards.


After enjoying myself in the shop, I moved onto the Gorse Hill United Church in Stretford to meet with the No Mega TESCO campaign. I was really encouraged to see that so many other local people were as opposed to this development as me. The meeting discussed the mammoth size of the development, possible objections and ways in which to object. Because of the scale and impact of this proposed development, the group wants to see the final decision made by the Secretary of State. I completely agree, if it goes ahead it will have an enormous negative impact on Chorlton, Stretford and surrounding areas. The group is going to post information on the development and ways in which to object on its website (http://www.nomegatesco.org.uk/) in the coming days. I will keep you updated about how to make your objection.

No comments:

Post a Comment